Self-care is a term everyone’s seen by now. It seems like it’s everywhere these days. It’s one of the few trends that I am super happy is around. But what exactly is it? That’s the hard thing to explain because it’s different for everyone. There isn’t really a one size fits all definition. Basically,self-care is remembering to take care of yourself as much as you do others in your life.
Nowadays we are all so caught up in the hustle of life, chasing the dream, and taking care of everyone else before ourselves. We have goals and dreams that we set out to achieve and work our butts off for them. We want our loved ones to be happy, and we will do anything for them. The thing is, we forget the one person we should love the most. Ourselves!
Self-care is taking care of yourself regularly so you can enjoy living life. It’s not selfish to make yourself a priority. It’s a necessity. And this really is something we should regularly do. I know you may think I’m crazy for saying everyone has time in their day to do something for themselves, but for real, you do! Even the smallest things can have the biggest impact. If it is something that makes you happy or relaxes you, then do it! Self-care is something that should be written into your planner on a daily basis. Make it a responsibility to yourself.
So why should you make self-care a priority???
Because you deserve it! Seriously. There are so many benefits that we take for granted. First of all, it gives you positive feelings and boosts your confidence and self-esteem. That alone right there is worth it! OK, so that isn’t enough and you need more reasons? I got you!
Let’s look at the fact that overworking yourself causes stress and exhaustion. You’ll be less productive, disorganized, and emotionally drained. And what does that lead to? Health problems like depression & anxiety, insomnia, and heart disease. And let’s not forget that stress can also lead to weight gain, which can lead to a whole other list of health problems. You want to enjoy your life, not just zombie your way through it!
Adding in a self-care routine daily can cut down on the toxic effects of stress, improve your mood and boost your energy! Don’t forget to take care of yourself not only emotionally, but also mentally and physically every day. I promise, there are super easy ways to do it. Even something as little as cuddling a pet can cut down your stress.
*Some posts may contain affiliate links. This means that I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase through this link, at no extra cost to you. I will never suggest something that I wouldn’t spend my own money on. Read the full disclosure here.*
Here is a list of Self-Care ideas to get you started!
- Go for a walk, jog or run.
- Meditate for 5 minutes.
- Spend time with people who make you smile and laugh.
- Start journaling.
- Unplug & read a book.
- Watch your favorite movie.
- Learn something new.
- Take a long bath. Add some relaxing mineral bath salts or bubble bath and this awesome bamboo bathtub caddy tray!
- Go for a hike.
- Blast some music & dance around the house! (My favorite way to de-stress!)
- Get a massage.
- Cuddle a pet.
- Make a daily list of 5 things you are grateful for.
- Take your dog for a walk.
- Make a coffee or a lunch date with a friend.
- Learn a new hobby.
- Paint your nails.
- Tackle a DIY or Craft project on your Pinterest.
- Declutter your house/bedroom/office.
- Write down at least ten things you love about yourself.
- Work on a puzzle.
- Plant a garden
- Make a dream board.
- Coloring ( try an adult coloring book like this one, or this one when cuss words are needed)
- Have a picnic/BBQ with family or friends
- Get a good night’s sleep.
- Light a scented candle. This candle one of my personal favorites!
- Sit in the sun.
- Declutter your brain with a brain dump.
- Get your hair done.
- Put uplifting Rocky Mountain Essential Oils in your diffuser and turn it on for 15 minutes.
- Do an at-home face mask.
- Buy yourself some flowers
- Say no to things that will push you past your limits
- Get your life organized with a planner or bullet journal. I love my Arc paper punch and disks to make my planners fit the setup that works best for me!
- Practice Yoga.
- Catch up on your favorite T.V. show.
- Get up early and enjoy your coffee/tea in silence.
- Plan a fun weekend
- Have a girl’s night
- Listen to your favorite podcast
- Cozy up in a blanket and turn on Netflix/Hulu
See, very realistic ideas!
So there you have it. 45 totally do-able ideas to start adding to your own self-care routine! I promise this will be one of the best things you can do for yourself! You need to find your balance in work & play, activity & rest, and alone time & social time. Don’t put it off until tomorrow. Or even next week. Do it now!
Click the image below to go to my free printables page and get this list as a printable with an extra 20 ideas!